What is Nutkrack?
Nutkrack is a very simple snack. Our classic flavor has only four ingredients: pecans, sugar, oil and salt. While our product is simple, we are not. Nutkrack is the only healthy, sweet and salty snack that truly inspires values-driven customers to find joy and connection through food. We give our customers and friends the chance to share something extraordinary with the people they love, and feel great about doing it!
With Nutkrack, you get a decadent, delicious snack and ingredient that still meets your highest nutritional goals and standards.
- Vegan. That incredible, buttery flavor is just the natural flavor of toasted pecans, when you don't add too much sugar and spice to mask it!
- Certified gluten-free
- GMO-free by the end of Q1 2020
- Low in sugar. Candied nuts are typically 50% sugar by weight. Nutkrack is 7%
- High in all of the good fats, with no trans-fats
- High in protein, fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, oleic acid and phenolic antioxidants
- A rich source of important minerals like manganese, potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc and selenium
Nutkrack began as a mistake. Eric Rupert, a chef in Madison for over 40 years, was hard at work in the kitchen, the stovetop crowded with pots and pans, when he accidentally dropped some pecan halves into the wrong pot. When he saw them again later, he stopped and looked more closely. They had a perfect, shiny glaze as though they had been intentionally and carefully prepared. He tasted one, and was surprised at how crunchy and delicious it was. Over the next hour, he ate them all. He added salt to a second batch, and shared them with family and friends. They were a unanimous hit, and a tradition was born: Eric would prepare these accidental treats as holiday gifts, and he did so for years.
Who is Nutkrack?
Eric Rupert and his son Kellen bring Nutkrack to life every day. Along with a small team of food-lovers in Madison, Wisconsin, they go about this task with a humble and grateful Midwestern sensibility, along with a healthy dose of nostalgia and humor. While we appreciate and celebrate the power of food to connect people, we don’t take our products or ourselves too seriously. We are a premium brand, but we are still a small family business that is equal parts fun, quirky and irreverent. We value consistent quality, community and compassion as much as the bottom line.