RECIPE: Chili-spiked Candied Pecan Mac 'n' Cheese
Here's an easy to make, 30 minute mac 'n' cheese that you'll want bring to every party and picnic this summer! Adding a topping of chopped chili-spiked Firekracker pecans may sound unusual, but it's a great combination of spice and crunch with gooey, cheesy noodles. Add a few dashes of your favorite hot sauce (because you know you were going to anyway).
- 2½ cups water
- 1 cup whole milk
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni*
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup finely chopped Firekracker
- ½ cup pecan meal
- Salt & pepper to taste
Hot sauce of choice
*Substitute gluten-free pasta if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium saucepot combine the water, milk, and salt. Heat over medium heat. Stir occasionally while the liquid comes to a simmer, then reduce heat to low.
- Continue to cook over low heat, stirring often, until macaroni is fully cooked and most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the pot from heat. Add half the cheese, and stir until it has fully melted. Stir in the butter and half of the remaining cheese, saving about ¼ cup for topping. If the consistency appears a little too dry, stir in a small splash of hot water. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Transfer the mac & cheese into a baking dish, top with pecan pieces, pecan meal and remaining cheese. Bake until bubbly and browned on top, about 8 to 10 minutes. Enjoy!
Adapted with permission from Recipes | ILovePecans